Every university becomes an epicenter of learning when designed around the realms of education, aspiration, happiness, and well-being. SRM University-AP is one of the youngest institutions in the country, making headway with a distinct vision and an uncommon modus operandi. The university internalises its role as a prime agent in bringing innovation and regional development. SRM University-AP fosters a distinguished learning culture with a plethora of avenues for the students to dive into and transform themselves as new-age professionals. Every innovation is introduced with the purpose of shaping its students to embrace the future in its fullest sense.
In the face of advancing technologies and growing digitisation, the university has set out on a mission to prepare its students with a future-oriented curriculum encompassing practical learning experiences. Having recognised as a broad-based multidisciplinary research-intensive university, the institution takes immense care in orienting its learning culture in line with the emerging demands of society. It also ensures that students are provided with challenging research opportunities having deeper social implications.
Rolling out a slew of innovative initiatives such as Inter-Disciplinary Experiential Active Learning (IDEAL) methodology, Semester Abroad Programmes and other international collaborations, Hatch Lab Research Centre, Next Tech Lab, Corporate relations and Career Services, and a dozen of activity clubs to pursue their interests across the arenas of arts, sports, literature, photography etc., SRM University-AP leaves no stone unturned to arm the students to make themselves a niche in a world surging ahead with unprecedented opportunities.
Inter-Disciplinary Active Learning (IDEA)
IDEA is a pedagogical practice introduced with the intention of giving students the liberty to curate the curriculum aligning with their interests. It offers flexibility in learning and allows them to explore their interests cutting across disciplines. Having done majors in one subject along with other minors/specialisations will give them an added edge and amplify their job prospects. This active learning practice, coupled with industry internship programmes, makes this an avant-garde learning technique.
Semester Abroad Programmes
The global collaborations and partnerships established by the university with world-class institutions, including the University of California, Harvard Business School Online, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, US, and other top organisations, will open the gateway for its students to acquire international exposure and get acquainted with cutting-edge developments in the global market. Semester Abroad Programme is a lucrative opportunity for students to upgrade themselves on par with international quality professionals. Moreover, the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between SRM University-AP and other universities will allow students to let out themselves to new cultures, mindsets, and work environments.
Hatch Lab Research Centre
The SRM Technology & Livelihood Business Incubator (SRMTBI) is a resourceful platform for students to embark on new ventures and business practices. With its vast network of domain experts, experienced professionals, and academicians, SRM TBI preserves a thriving ecosystem to motivate young researchers to promote the commercial research culture. SRM TBI essentially works intending to bring prosperity to socially backward places and train the students to make meaningful contributions toward nation-building. The entrepreneurship academy also organises exploratory competitions such as hackathons to unveil the entrepreneurial acumen of the students.
Next Tech Lab
Next Tech Lab is a student-led innovation that offers an exclusive platform for them to work on futuristic prototypes using cutting-edge technology. Forging ahead with a spectacular vision of making an immense contribution to future enterprises, Next Tech Lab is the only organisation from India to win the QS Reimagine Education 2018 award for its work in spearheading the student-led innovation lab model in India. It also holds an exemplary record of winning hackathons and publishing in high-impact journals. The venture was established with a fervent motive to reverse the brain-drain culture in the country, and it stays true to its intention by impelling students to learn, research, and develop their skills in tune with the industrial demands.
Corporate Relations and Career Services
The Department of Corporate Relations and Career Services works with the intent to ensure cent per cent campus placement for its students. The department provides hands-on training and internships for students to hone their skills and learn from experts in the field. Having established a strong tie-up with leading companies, including Infosys, ONGC, Electronics Corporations of India Limited, etc., the CR&CS department offers students abundant opportunities to walk into a career of their choice. It also provides a forum for the industry experts to share their experiences with the students and learn the skills needed to stay productive in today’s globalised Industry 4.0 world.
Clubs and Societies for Students
The university nurtures a learning environment beyond academics to encourage students to enhance their talents and passion. The student clubs and societies give them umpteen platforms to engage in extra-curricular activities and make learning a wholesome experience. To list a few, literary club, movie club, sports club, theatre club, photography club etc., are some of the highly engaging clubs sought-after by students. The Department of Student Affairs is doing a remarkable job by co-ordinating with the faculty and students and hosting such enriching activities on the campus.
SRM University-AP is a choice destination for the next generation of students to learn, explore and transform themselves into resourceful individuals. The university is stewarding an educational revolution in the country by taking a detour from the conventional pathway to walk students into a fathomless world of opportunities. As society evolves with unpredictable changes with each passing day, it is imperative to capacitate the students to remain flexible to such uncertainties. SRM University-AP fosters an academic culture to mould its students to be multi-talented individuals daring enough to embrace any challenge that comes their way.
Electronics and Communications Engineering or ECE is a very popular educational choice for the prospective engineering students. ECE students can have careers in industries like consumer electronics manufacturing organization, Automotive, Telecommunication & IT industries, Health care equipment manufacturing, Mobile communication (2G, 3G, and 4G), Internet technologies, Power Electronics, and other industries like steel, petroleum, and chemical industry etc.
ECE students also have lots of opportunities in Government and private companies in the areas of design, manufacture, installation, operation, and maintenance of electronics equipment and systems. New opportunities and avenues are also opening for electronics & communication engineers due to the integration of electronics into various new industrial verticals.
The latest technologies include self-driving cars, autonomous drone logistics, robotics, automation in industries, smart energy systems etc. But getting acquainted with these industries will not be easy. They demand engineers who have more hands-on experience with the latest technologies.
Electronics students with skills in robotics, automation technologies, renewable energies, Internet of Things (IoT), mechatronics engineering concepts add more value to their average pay scale. Students pursuing electronics engineering aim to get a highly paid job, so improving their skill sets will impact their pay scale a lot.
Major technologies in which an ECE engineer can work on:
- Analog and Radio Frequency Circuits: Without these cell phones, Wi-Fi, television will cease to exist. A lot of industries are established to meet consumer demands, and, in the process, they opened a lot of job opportunities for electronics engineers.
- Communication & Signal Processing: This technology particularly finds its application in the transmission, storage, and analysis of information signals.
- Computer & Digital Systems: All the industries are able to advance technologically at a faster pace than before with the help of computers. These digital systems are everywhere from smartwatches to Mars rovers.
- Networking: With the boom on the internet, we are experiencing 3G, 4G services that help organizations and industries to easily collaborate with people. There is a lot of scope for engineers who want to work in this technology.
- Computer vision & Image processing: These technologies are helping computers in the areas like medical, surveying, photogrammetry etc. For instance, now we have medical devices that can analyse data to not only display images but identify diseases too with the help of magneto-resonance imaging technology
- Control systems & Robotics: With the advancement in technologies lately more and more industries are adopting automation and robots into their operations to improve their efficiency. And a lot more industries are expected to adopt these technologies in the coming years.
- Remote Sensing: Communication via radio waves is essential for mobile devices, radios, and all the devices that are connected to the internet. From mapping to navigation, remote sensing plays a vital role in various technologies.
- Nanotechnology: The more efficient solar cells, faster transistors, tracking chips and microscopic sensors that we see today are the products of nanotechnology. A lot of industries are adopting this technology to make their products smaller and more efficient.
- Sustainable Energy & Power systems: Now industries are investing lots of their money and time to develop more efficient solar cells, windmills, systems that can generate power from tides etc. This technology offers a wide range of job opportunities for electronics engineers.
- Energy Storage Technology: The demand for energy storage systems is likely to grow exponentially globally as the world shifts towards renewable energy sources. This shift will mandate both grid level and unit level energy storage systems that are of viable size, cost, and energy efficiency. Significant research is currently being conducted on materials, engineering, and other optimisations.
Skills that an ECE student needs to develop to improve job prospects:
If you are an ECE student, here are some of the skills and areas that you need to concentrate on to improve your job prospects:
- Computer proficiency is a must these days; try to get acquainted with some of the industrial-grade software.
- Develop your communication and interpersonal skills
- Develop more practical skills and get hands-on experience on theoretical concepts
- Get exposed to current industrial methodologies as much as possible
- Stay updated with the latest technologies by developing projects on them
- Do additional certified training programs to build your profile
- Take additional responsibilities in your college to showcase your managerial skills
- Develop your leadership and team working abilities
ECE at SRMAP:
Studying ECE at SRMAP offers students the unique opportunity to gain experiences, skills and knowledge which will set them apart from their peers.
- Semester Abroad Programme: For those who strive to learn cutting edge practices from reputed Universities abroad, SRMAP offers a dream-come-true opportunity to the selected students to obtain necessary skills and insights which will make them shine among their competitors.
- Centres of Excellence: The centres of excellence will nurture the potential in students by giving them a working environment and allowing them to test their mettle.
- Multidisciplinary curriculum: The curriculum at SRMAP is fluid. It draws upon traditional courses with a modern and practical outlook. However, the most prominent feature of the curriculum at SRMAP is that it transcends convention, focuses on recent trends in research and technology. and provides the students with the essential tools wot take the forefront positions in their field.
- Placements: Placements at SRMAP are extremely motivated by the individual’s needs and career aspirations. The students are given relevant advice since day one and often train to acquire skills as per their strengths and ambitions. This makes them the suitable candidate for their dream job with exciting offers in their hands.
You have landed the coveted seat as a Mechanical Engineering student. Congratulations! What is your next goal? What career options after Mechanical Engineering are you considering? You will be happy to know that mechanical engineers have a much wider career field to choose from than many other engineering disciplines.
Introduction to Mechanical Engineering Field:
The best part of engineering, any discipline of engineering, is to be able to engineer things. As a mechanical engineer, you would become familiar with fundamental aspects of many other disciplines. Mechanical Engineering is a seminal discipline of engineering from which many other branches (automobile engineering, aerospace engineering, etc.) have developed.
Mechanical Engineering formally emerged as a discipline in the 18th century during the Industrial Revolution. However, for all intents and purposes, Leonardo DaVinci would have been a mechanical engineer if he was living today. In fact, the origin of Mechanical Engineering can be traced to the invention of simple machines such as wheels, levers, wedges, or ramps.
But where are the Mechanical Engineers today? What is in store for them in the future?
Simple. Everything as far as the eye can see. Career options for Mechanical Engineers range from joint design in a robot prototype to fluid dynamics measurement in the human body. Mechanical Engineers play a critical part in the development of any machine that we see around us.
SRM University-AP’s multidisciplinary courses widen the scope of Mechanical Engineering careers. The option to pick minors from a variety of fields gives mechanical engineers the scope to enhance and diversify their domain knowledge.
Responsibilities of Mechanical Engineers in their Jobs:
Mechanical Engineers are typically involved in the creation of the mechanical aspects of the design. They can work on theoretical aspects such as research or conceptualisation or more functional aspects such as design and design development.
In any workspace, the role of the mechanical engineers revolves around the following:
- Identification of the problem and researching on how it can be resolved mechanically.
- Designing a solution theoretically as well as virtually.
- Creating a prototype and testing the prototype stability over various parameters.
- Overseeing the manufacturing process and providing guidelines on maintenance.
Popular Industries and Sectors for Career Options in Mechanical Engineering:
Mechanical Engineers can always find good career opportunities in the manufacturing sector. The intuitive manner in which they approach a complication often comes in handy not only in engineering roles but also in management roles. Mechanical engineers are good at mapping out the structure and identifying the root of issues, making them valuable assets for any manufacturing company.
- Armed Forces and Defence
The Defence sector needs to strive for higher efficiency. There are few sectors as lucrative and competitive as the armed force ones. Mechanical Engineers play a vital role in this area, from competitor assessment to model development. Constant up-gradation and quick solutions are defining features of any person looking for a job in this sector.
- Aerospace Industries
Working for the aerospace industry is the dream of many engineers. The opportunities for mechanical engineers in this sector are plenty. As our aerospace technologies develop to accommodate our exploration aspirations, the need for mechanical engineers rises to design the best models possible.
- Automobile Industries
Faster than light. Though the automobile industry is yet to achieve this dream, it has remained their vision. Mechanical engineers are the most in-demand people in this sector to turn this dream into reality and make it safer while doing so. So, if you love cars and making them talk to the wind, you might want to look into this sector for job opportunities.
The construction sector heavily relies on inputs from Civil engineers. However, mechanical engineers would find that they play a vital role in this industry as well. As the terrains for construction differ, the demand for the insight and consultation of mechanical engineers to create fail-safe designs heightens.
- Energy Services
Energy generation and storage are heavily reliant on mechanical engineers to design and implement technology with green sources and less loss. The research and development scopes and the design prospects in this sector are fertile and constantly in demand of greater and greater efficiency.
Most of the human body systems need to be read by tools designed by Mechanical engineers. Not just that, these engineers are the ones who devise the methods to make these tools minimally invasive as well. The biomedical sector recognises the need for mechanical engineers to improvise their systems and economise their tools.
- Robotics and Automation
Perhaps the most awesome-to-the-ears field, the field of robotics and automation, needs mechanical engineers to design the most flexible and durable apparatus. Mechanical engineers face extraordinary problems and requirements in this field and strive to provide equally jaw-dropping solutions to it.
Job Positions after Mechanical Engineering
- Mining Engineer
- Water Engineer
- Aerospace Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer
- Automotive Engineer
- Maintenance Engineer
- CAD Technician
- Nuclear Engineer
- Control and Instrumentation Engineer
Tips for Mechanical Engineers to Improve Career Prospects
- Technological Proficiency
Stay up to date with the latest software platforms. It is crucial in this day and age to learn how to navigate the digital space even when most of your work might be on-site. Moreover, this would also show that you are a person who is always prepared to adapt to the new and more convenient technology.
Having hands-on experience is crucial in any industry to facilitate hiring decisions. However, it is even more critical if you are a mechanical engineer. Do not wait till your graduation. It is advisable for most engineers to look for experience through internships. A good internship can make your CV stand out among your peers.
- Higher Education
Do not stop at a graduate degree if you wish to climb up career ladders. It would help if you levelled up. Get higher education. Show that you are willing to make an effort on yourself to do your job better.
- Additional Certifications
Having additional certifications that add value to you professionally can make you a real catch real fast. It can be surprisingly beneficial if you have a multidisciplinary education. You will be able to provide value to organisations requiring a mechanical engineer but do not belong to the traditional sectors.
- Interpersonal Skills
It is crucial to curate the soft skills and interpersonal skills needed to market yourself to the hiring manager properly. Your rigorously developed domain knowledge will be for nought if you fail to present them to the concerned people in the proper manner. Moreover, strong interpersonal skills will help you network well and connect with the right people, affecting your growth prospects exponentially.
- Management Degree
If you wish to climb the corporate ladder, then it would be advisable to obtain a management degree to go with your graduate degree. A management degree can be your gateway to coveted executive positions. Perks aside, your inputs could be the deciding factors for your organisation’s growth and stability.
SRM University-AP trains the students and prepares them, at the outset, for their dream jobs and their career expectations. The practical learning approach to education prepares the students to face several challenges in their professional domain before even entering the workforce. Each student’s needs and career goals are kept in consideration while advising them about the minors that would be helpful to them, training them with necessary skills, and even providing them with essential exposure.
Studying with SRM University-AP will help you broaden your career options after Mechanical Engineering. Find out more about the Undergraduate Programme in Mechanical Engineering offered by SRM University-AP here.
“Education is not the learning of facts but the training of the mind to think.” Albert Einstein
Your college years are when you learn the foundational concepts and get exposure to industry functioning through practical experiences. But in most instances, it’s also the last stage in your training before you put on the professional gloves. You are gearing up for long and successful innings in your career, and you want to start it on a solid footing. That’s why focusing on extracurricular activities during your programmes remains crucial.
The industry today is looking for a lot more from its employees than ever before. New age industry professionals need to be equipped with lateral thinking skills to arrive at solutions from diverse perspectives. They choose candidates with leadership qualities, teamwork, professionals who can think critically and out of the box. These are just some of the attributes seen in students who emphasize extracurricular activities as much as academic excellence.
New age higher learning institutions like SRM University-AP are leading the way by bridging the gap between industry demands and students’ skills set. Our programmes are designed to promote the holistic growth of students through varied extracurricular activities. Students can opt for activities that are in keeping with their interests and hone their skills. They complement your academic learning and transform you into the well-groomed professionals of tomorrow.
The Department of Student Affairs at SRM University-AP works closely with students, faculty members and staff to create a thriving ecosystem for holistic growth. Students are exposed to enriching experiences that boost their skills and interests through numerous clubs and societies. They also find platforms to showcase their talent and gain confidence while also learning leadership skills as they organize these events and take ownership.
- Art and Culture oriented clubs focused on photography, music, dance etc., engage students in artistic pursuits. They also hone creative thinking skills, which are a tremendous value addition to the repertoire of future professionals.
- The activities of movie clubs, literary clubs are designed to engage students in discussions that offer them a broader perspective. They boost lateral thinking and offer students exposure to diverse backgrounds, cultures and more.
- Students can also participate in various sporting activities on campus. Sports Clubs not only emphasize all-around fitness but also build team spirit and leadership abilities. They boost students’ confidence to perform on bigger stages.
- SRM University-AP endeavours to shape socially conscious and responsible future professionals. Through yoga and meditation, activities of the Welfare Club, students understand the importance of leading fulfilling lives while giving back to society.
- Extracurricular activities can include everything from app development to imbibing entrepreneurship skills through specifically designed clubs. These activities build on the skills learned in the classroom and offer valuable exposure.
All extracurricular activities enhance student engagement on campus, build their organizational skills, boost confidence and transform them into leaders. These are essential skills for new age professionals, so the role of extracurricular activities in their nurturing is indispensable.
Motivation is what gets you started; MBA is what gets you going. It’s a phrase management aspirants have heard many times over. Your management programme is not just a course to imbibe crucial business skills; it’s a stepping stone for a long-term, successful corporate career. It should be seen as the vital stage in your journey towards your goals, which prepares you for the fast-evolving business scenarios today and in the future as well.
World economies have been in a state of flux, the job market has always been intensely competitive; today it’s also riddled with uncertainty. It’s your training and experiences during your management programme that will set you apart from other candidates for dynamic career profiles. School of Entrepreneurship And Management Studies (SEAMS) at SRM University-AP is driven by the goal of nurturing leaders of tomorrow with its futureproof programmes.
The new entity carves out its identity
SRM University-AP brought to the state the legacy of the SRM brand renowned for its excellence in the fields of engineering, science, medicine, social science, commerce, law, and management education. In a short span of time, it raised the bar for higher education in India making its mark on the global stage. Meanwhile, SEAMS carved out its own identity within the University becoming a force to reckon with thanks to its future-forward management programmes.
- Strong Foundation: The cutting edge, industry-oriented curriculum of the programmes is designed to help students understand the inside outs of the business world in areas of Finance, HR, Marketing, Leadership, Entrepreneurship and Management. These skills hold students in good stead in their long term careers.
- Innovative pedagogies and assessment: Case studies, group discussions, role-plays, quizzes, research projects have been integrated into the programmes to promote active learning. Along with digital exams and online tests, they are also part of the assessment process that helps determine students’ progress.
- Mentorship from the best in the business: Given its reputation, SEAMS has attracted a strong faculty pool that includes industry-experienced names. Through various industry interaction sessions, workshops and seminars also bring students in close contact with professionals who can mentor them.
- Industry exposure: Students of the university engage in research projects guided by their faculty members and transform into problem solvers. They also get vital real-world exposure through live projects and internships with top corporate companies, to be groomed into industry-ready professionals and leaders.
- Multidisciplinary way ahead: Business leaders who can think laterally and out of the box, are the need of the future. Lateral thinking is just one of the many benefits students experience as they study in the multidisciplinary environment at the University. Peer learning through interactions with students from diverse backgrounds is enriching.
- Going global: Business managers and leaders from the country have the potential and platform to make their presence felt on the global stage. The university has endeavoured to facilitate that with its international collaborations with top organizations. Its partnership with Harvard Business School Online is one of many such initiatives.
Future beckons Indian business professionals. With its futureproof management programmes, SRM University-AP is ensuring that its socially-conscious managers, leaders and entrepreneurs are ready for it.
What is Energy Storage?
Ever since humans mastered energy capture, energy storage and retrieval for use at a later point of time or place has been the key pursuit in power engineering. As per Wikipedia, “Energy storage is the capture of energy produced at one time for use at a later time. A device that stores energy is generally called an accumulator or battery.”
Insert video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JGMm8qDfxw
Why is it important?
Energy comes in multiple forms, which include radiation, chemical, gravitational, electrical, temperature, and kinetic. Energy storage technology converts energy from these forms into economically storable forms that are safe and accessible.
Energy storage systems are assuming greater importance with the increasing focus on sustainable energy (solar, wind, hydro) electric vehicles and the rapid rise in use of battery-powered electronic devices like smartphones, which has led to a surge in production of lithium-ion batteries. This makes energy storage one of the most promising upcoming sectors.
Insert video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljKFr_o24jo
What are the industries involved in Energy Storage?
When one thinks of Energy Storage, one immediately thinks of batteries. However, batteries are about storage and retrieval of chemical energy, but energy is of many different types. A hydroelectric dam, stores gravitational potential energy, ice storage tanks store ice frozen by cheaper energy at night to meet peak daytime demand for cooling, and fossil fuels such as coal and gasoline store ancient energy derived from sunlight, buried and over time and then converted into these forms. Industry application include power storage and distribution obviously, but also automobiles, real estate, mining, and telecom.
Insert video ‘Future of Energy Storage’: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LAuDTNW5dw
Beyond Batteries: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R7EzO3uBms
Who is the field relevant for?
The demand for energy storage systems is likely to grow exponentially globally as the world shifts towards renewable energy sources. This shift will mandate both grid level and unit level energy storage systems that are of a viable size, cost, and energy efficiency. Significant research is currently being conducted on materials, engineering, and other optimisations.
The kind of backgrounds required for this field could include:
Metallurgists for analysing potential of viable materials,
Chemical engineers and chemistry graduates,
Automobile engineers interested in electric vehicle development
However, energy storage is somewhat interdisciplinary bringing together material science with expertise in the energy storage using sectors.
What are the career prospects?
Estimates by Lux Research, an independent research and advisory firm, suggest that the global industry for energy storage could be worth $100billion in the next few years.
Given the focus, demand, and growth, energy storage sector will generate significant jobs in the future. Moreover, due to the shortage of qualified professionals relative to demand, entry salary and salary growth prospects are positive.
How do I get started?
The roadmap involves an undergraduate degree in electrical engineering or material sciences with a focus on specific courses in renewable energy and energy storage.
What are Nanomaterials?
Nanomaterials are substances or materials that are manufactured and used at a, as the name suggests, very small scale. ISO (2015) defines a nanomaterial as a ‘material with any external dimension in the nanoscale (size range from approximately 1 – 100 nm) or having internal structure or surface structure in the nanoscale’.
Insert video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAOFpgocfrg
Why are they important?
Nanomaterials are the most recent and most exciting development in materials science. Nanoscale materials have unique optical, electronic, or mechanical properties. Thus, when compared to the same material which is not at a nanoscale, they show more optimal performance measured typically in strength, chemical reactivity or conductivity.
What are the industry applications of nanomaterials?
The scope, unlike the size of nanomaterials, is massive:
Better building insulation,
More energy efficiency,
Nimble automobiles, aircraft, ships, spacecraft
…..there is nothing nano about the potential for nanomaterials and nanotechnology. There is every possibility that this field will touch just about every industry that exists today and will even create new and unthought of applications.
Insert video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY0E4xRyfek
Who is the field relevant for?
Considering that we have only just begun to understand the scope of development and application of nanomaterials, the future for this field is bright.
The kind of backgrounds required for this field could include:
Material Scientists, and
Physics, Chemistry, and Biology graduates.
However, nanoscience is essentially interdisciplinary wherein science is applied to engineering and hence a holistic mindset/approach is needed.
What are the career prospects?
As mentioned, the industries requiring this expertise are extremely diverse. Currently, nanomaterials have seen significant adoption in sectors like:
Energy, among others.
According to the widely followed recruiter.com, salaries in the USA range between $45,000 and $73,000 for nanotechnology engineering technicians. Needless to say, as use of nanomaterials expands engineers with significant experience can see their salaries grow significantly in the coming years, more so since demand will outstrip supply of candidates.
How do I get started?
The pathway starts from an undergraduate degree in engineering or sciences with a focus on specific courses in nanotechnology, nanomaterial, or nanoscience. Alternatively, with the growth of nanoscience in India several universities including SRM AP offer undergrad and masters courses with specialisation in nanotechnology. This can be coupled with the many options available at the PhD level in this exciting field.
What it is
Engineering Physics refers to the combined disciplines of physics, mathematics, and engineering. The field seeks ways to apply, design, and develop new solutions in engineering and holds promising career prospects for interested graduates of science or engineering.
One of the biggest advantages of Engineering Physics is that unlike traditional engineering or science disciplines, it does not restrict itself to one domain. The focus is on applied physics covering highly specialised fields such as quantum physics, materials science, applied mechanics, electronics, nanotechnology, microfabrication, microelectronics, computing, photonics, nuclear engineering, biophysics, control theory, aerodynamics, energy, solid-state physics, and others.
The focus on coming up with integrated solutions sourced from multiple specialities ensures that the solutions thus derived are more optimal, effective, and efficient. The cross-functionality also serves as a bridge for the long-standing gap between the theoretical and practical sides of science and engineering.
Who is it for
As stated, graduates of science or engineering can look to specialise in Engineering Physics. Scientists looking to move beyond theory, or engineers looking to create real solutions to tangible problems using theoretical rigour find this field exciting.
Qualified engineering physicists fit in into opportunities within high technology industries some of which are in emergent domains. Broadly speaking, the roles span research and development, design, and analysis. The industry will depend on the engineering specialisation that is selected, i.e. mechanical, computer, nuclear, aerospace, etc.
Engineering Physics is well poised to grow as a segment specifically because of the many emergent sectors in which it has application as well as the technological progress in the last decade that has created entirely new industries. Some of the key areas that will see job growth are discussed below.
The pressures of a growing global population and the need for sustainable agriculture are going to [belatedly] lead to science and engineering playing a larger role in how we grow crops. Agro Physics is an evolving field and it involves the study of materials and processes in the sowing, harvesting, and processing of agricultural produce.
Artificial Intelligence or AI refers to machines that mimic human cognitive functions such as learning and problem solving. This exciting field is growing by leaps and bounds and holds great promise in automation of many processes besides an exponential growth in processing capacities.
Biomechanics involves the study of the structure, function and motion of the mechanical aspects of living systems. The field touches applications such as aerodynamics, orthopedics, locomotion, pathology, oncology, among others.
Bionanotechnology refers to the combination of nanotechnology and biology. Here, bio systems within nature are used as inspiration for creating new nanodevices or nanoparticles. Nanomedicine is the obvious field that is looking to benefit from the progress made in Bionanotechnology, while agriculture is another sector that will see application of new solutions.
A composite material is made from two or more constituent materials with significantly different physical or chemical properties that, when combined, produce a material with characteristics different from the individual components. The objective could be to make the composite lighter, stronger, harder, softer, resistant, flexible, rigid, etc. While composite materials have existed since ages (concrete and steel are composite materials!), limits in development of new materials are constantly being pushed through progress in Engineering Physics.
Machine learning (ML)
ML is a subset of AI and refers to algorithms and statistical models that computer systems use to perform a task without any instructions input by human operators, relying on patterns and inference instead. ML is beginning to find application across many sectors including primarily Economics, Finance, Forensics, Medicine, Search Engines, etc.
Miniaturisation of various devices (think about the first cell phones and compare them with devices today) has led to the need for Microfabrication, which is the process of fabricating miniature structures of micrometre scales and smaller. Progress in material science, nanotechnology, and other fields has led to growth in possibilities in this field.
Nanotechnology is the manipulation of matter on an atomic, molecular, and supramolecular scale. Apart from medicine, Nanotechnology holds immense potential for multiple industrial sectors such as defence, textiles, food packaging, sports, construction, and energy. The fruits of the research conducted in this exciting field over the years is only just beginning to be realised.
The human neural system is an extremely complex arrangement linking the brain with the rest of the body. Neuroscience is still making tentative progress in understanding how this system works and this pace has quickened lately thanks to the improvement in imaging systems. Neural engineering is a discipline within bioengineering that uses engineering to understand, repair, replace, or enhance these complex neural systems. Aspects such as Neuroimaging, Neuromechanics, Neuromodulation, Neurorobotics, and Neuroregeneration hold great promise for patients who have been resigned to living with neurological disorders.
Robotics is the true combination of Computer, Electronics and Mechanical Engineering with Physics. While Robots have existed since many decades now, the application across more sectors, the sophistication of the robotic systems, and their efficiency are being enhanced through the many technological developments. This will lead to productivity and efficiency gains across multiple sectors.
Sterling placement result for SRM University – AP, Andhra Pradesh’s maiden batch cements its place as a new force in Indian education
Sep 30, 2020, Andhra Pradesh: First is forever, because it sets the benchmark for others to follow and beat. Not surprisingly then, all eyes in academia were trained on the placement results of the maiden batch of SRM AP, which was set up with the aim of being a world-class university. It has taken giant strides in a short span of time, raising the bar for higher education in the country. And the sensational placement results, in spite of this year’s circumstances, have taken it a step closer to cementing its place as the force to reckon with in Indian academia.
The Covid-19 pandemic has put a spanner in the placement plans and outcomes for many universities across India. But SRM AP seems to have successfully navigated through the pitfalls by taking its founding batch to their dream job profiles. Its early placement run and seamless transition to online hiring seem to have paid off. Besides dynamic profiles, the maiden placement season for the university has exceeded expectations with its highest salary package of Rs. 29.5 LPA, which was offered to Sri Ritika Katragadda by global giant Amazon.
Anheuser-Busch InBev, HealthRx (Bajaj Finserv Health Ltd., Optum Global Solutions, Sahaj Soft, Sabre Corporation, Amadeus LabsCoviam Technology, Walmart Labs, Standard Chartered, Virtusa, and L&T Technology Services Ltd are some of the top-notch recruiters at SRM AP. It’s interesting to note that several of these renowned organizations have hired multiple candidates from the maiden batch, instating their faith in the University’s programs. IT sector in India, in particular, will now see a strong presence of SRM AP graduates as they make their mark from Pune to Bangalore and Chennai.
The multi-stream research-focused university has strived to create a transformative learning experience for its students. Its collaborations with well known International universities offer students a platform to groom themselves as global professionals of tomorrow. Faculty members too have strong International exposure, which helps students gain insights into best global practices and strategies. The maiden batch of SRM AP found fantastic opportunities to put their learning into practice through internships with well-known brands and organizations.
Sri Ritika Katragadda made her internship with Amazon count and bagged the plum placement as Software Developer. And she wasn’t the only one. Several students of the maiden batch bagged PPOs and placement cum internships, which speaks volumes about their training at the University that has led to a smooth transition from the classroom to boardrooms. They will now start their careers as Software Developers, Software Engineers, Solution Consultants, and Technical Support Engineers etc. charting their way to professional success and becoming glorious ambassadors for their university. As the first among equals!
The Covid-19 pandemic undoubtedly had a substantial impact on the placement season this year. Many recruiters, big and small, have stalled new placements, deferred on previously offered positions. However, as experts at the recent Outlook India conclave themed ‘Would the Covid pandemic impact campus placement?’ reiterated – “There is no lockdown on opportunities.”
In fact, young universities like SRM University – AP, Andhra Pradesh have upped their game to harness the novel opportunities of the new world for its students. Online and remote placements are the answer this year. Remote interviews are certainly different from in-person interviews. They have their unique challenges, and hence your preparations have to be unique, and in keeping with the demands too.
Here are five steps that will help you ace online and remote placements
- Remote interviews can be done over the phone or video calls. Either way, before the interview make sure you have picked an interference-free spot. If the interview will be held over Skype or Zoom call, ensure that the spot you pick looks professional to make the right impression.
- Some of the interview preparations will remain unchanged. For example, you should do your research about the organization and the role. It’s also a good idea to have a printout or a handwritten version of your CV handy. Going over different tabs on your screen during the interview is not a good look.
- It’s also important to have access to a good webcam and microphone for the interview. You might want to test the equipment before you get on the call. Be ready and in position for the interview a few minutes before the designated time. You don’t want to seem rushed when you begin.
- Dressing up for the interview will put you in the right mindset, so make the effort even if it’s a phone interview. Pay attention to details like whether the device is charged, mute all notifications to avoid disturbance. You can put a sticky note under the webcam so you know exactly where to look and make eye contact with the interviewers.
- Work from home is the mantra in the new world. Your online interview is the perfect platform to showcase yourself as a candidate who is accessible and responsive. Show that you are someone who revels in taking initiative, are self-motivated, and can be efficient with minimal mentoring.
These strategies formed the crux of specialized online and remote placement training SRM AP offered its students. It paid dividends as students got placed with names like VIRTUSA Corporation, AB InBev, Sahaj Soft and more. Students have bagged attractive offers and are stepping into the professional arenas in dynamic roles that can lead to rewarding careers in the new world.