Electronics and Communications Engineering or ECE is a very popular educational choice for the prospective engineering students. ECE students can have careers in industries like consumer electronics manufacturing organization, Automotive, Telecommunication & IT industries, Health care equipment manufacturing, Mobile communication (2G, 3G, and 4G), Internet technologies, Power Electronics, and other industries like steel, petroleum, and chemical industry etc.
ECE students also have lots of opportunities in Government and private companies in the areas of design, manufacture, installation, operation, and maintenance of electronics equipment and systems. New opportunities and avenues are also opening for electronics & communication engineers due to the integration of electronics into various new industrial verticals.
The latest technologies include self-driving cars, autonomous drone logistics, robotics, automation in industries, smart energy systems etc. But getting acquainted with these industries will not be easy. They demand engineers who have more hands-on experience with the latest technologies.
Electronics students with skills in robotics, automation technologies, renewable energies, Internet of Things (IoT), mechatronics engineering concepts add more value to their average pay scale. Students pursuing electronics engineering aim to get a highly paid job, so improving their skill sets will impact their pay scale a lot.
Major technologies in which an ECE engineer can work on:
- Analog and Radio Frequency Circuits: Without these cell phones, Wi-Fi, television will cease to exist. A lot of industries are established to meet consumer demands, and, in the process, they opened a lot of job opportunities for electronics engineers.
- Communication & Signal Processing: This technology particularly finds its application in the transmission, storage, and analysis of information signals.
- Computer & Digital Systems: All the industries are able to advance technologically at a faster pace than before with the help of computers. These digital systems are everywhere from smartwatches to Mars rovers.
- Networking: With the boom on the internet, we are experiencing 3G, 4G services that help organizations and industries to easily collaborate with people. There is a lot of scope for engineers who want to work in this technology.
- Computer vision & Image processing: These technologies are helping computers in the areas like medical, surveying, photogrammetry etc. For instance, now we have medical devices that can analyse data to not only display images but identify diseases too with the help of magneto-resonance imaging technology
- Control systems & Robotics: With the advancement in technologies lately more and more industries are adopting automation and robots into their operations to improve their efficiency. And a lot more industries are expected to adopt these technologies in the coming years.
- Remote Sensing: Communication via radio waves is essential for mobile devices, radios, and all the devices that are connected to the internet. From mapping to navigation, remote sensing plays a vital role in various technologies.
- Nanotechnology: The more efficient solar cells, faster transistors, tracking chips and microscopic sensors that we see today are the products of nanotechnology. A lot of industries are adopting this technology to make their products smaller and more efficient.
- Sustainable Energy & Power systems: Now industries are investing lots of their money and time to develop more efficient solar cells, windmills, systems that can generate power from tides etc. This technology offers a wide range of job opportunities for electronics engineers.
- Energy Storage Technology: The demand for energy storage systems is likely to grow exponentially globally as the world shifts towards renewable energy sources. This shift will mandate both grid level and unit level energy storage systems that are of viable size, cost, and energy efficiency. Significant research is currently being conducted on materials, engineering, and other optimisations.
Skills that an ECE student needs to develop to improve job prospects:
If you are an ECE student, here are some of the skills and areas that you need to concentrate on to improve your job prospects:
- Computer proficiency is a must these days; try to get acquainted with some of the industrial-grade software.
- Develop your communication and interpersonal skills
- Develop more practical skills and get hands-on experience on theoretical concepts
- Get exposed to current industrial methodologies as much as possible
- Stay updated with the latest technologies by developing projects on them
- Do additional certified training programs to build your profile
- Take additional responsibilities in your college to showcase your managerial skills
- Develop your leadership and team working abilities
ECE at SRMAP:
Studying ECE at SRMAP offers students the unique opportunity to gain experiences, skills and knowledge which will set them apart from their peers.
- Semester Abroad Programme: For those who strive to learn cutting edge practices from reputed Universities abroad, SRMAP offers a dream-come-true opportunity to the selected students to obtain necessary skills and insights which will make them shine among their competitors.
- Centres of Excellence: The centres of excellence will nurture the potential in students by giving them a working environment and allowing them to test their mettle.
- Multidisciplinary curriculum: The curriculum at SRMAP is fluid. It draws upon traditional courses with a modern and practical outlook. However, the most prominent feature of the curriculum at SRMAP is that it transcends convention, focuses on recent trends in research and technology. and provides the students with the essential tools wot take the forefront positions in their field.
- Placements: Placements at SRMAP are extremely motivated by the individual’s needs and career aspirations. The students are given relevant advice since day one and often train to acquire skills as per their strengths and ambitions. This makes them the suitable candidate for their dream job with exciting offers in their hands.