By Prof Y Siva Sankar
Professor of Practice, Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
Artificial intelligence, Machine learning, Robotics, IoT, 5G etc., are some of the technological innovations we hear about today. It is predicted that industry 4.0 will be dominated by these technologies and to have a career in industry we need to master them. At the heart of these new technologies is the evolution of the Semiconductor Industry. Semiconductor chips are incorporated in almost every electronic and communication product that enables these technologies for various domains. Military & defence, Automotive, consumer electronics etc. industries rely on these chips in their system design, while communication companies use semiconductors to improve their services. These industries rely on high-quality designs from qualified specialists to manufacture state-of-the-art equipment. Therefore, it’s essential that qualified specialists understand semiconductor design. That’s where an MTech in VLSI comes in handy. Basically, an MTech in VLSI is a two-year degree program that focuses on semiconductor design. During the study, we learn how to design and assemble circuits, chips, and other electronic components using silicon semiconductors. At the end of the degree program, students will be well-equipped to pursue a career as a designer or researcher in the field of VLSI. Since demand for MTech in VLSI is high these days, students can potentially gain lucrative employment after finishing the degree program. Additionally, this degree program prepares you for a career in any organisation that relies on silicon technology- including healthcare and research centres.
Get an MTech in VLSI! Click here to apply
What is MTech in VLSI and How Can It Help You Achieve Professional Success?
MTech in VLSI (Very-Large-Scale Integration) is a postgraduate-level programme in the field of Electronics and Computer Engineering. The course focuses on the design and development of integrated circuits and systems, including computer-aided design (CAD) tools, simulation, and verification techniques.
The programme covers semiconductor device physics, IC fabrication technology, digital and analogue circuit design, computer-aided design tools, VLSI system design, digital and analogue circuit design, semiconductor device physics, and layout design. It also includes hands-on training in the use of VLSI design tools and the implementation of VLSI systems.
Completing an MTech in VLSI can help you achieve professional success by providing you with the knowledge and skills needed to design and develop advanced electronic systems. Graduates of the programme are well-suited for careers in VLSI design, embedded systems, semiconductor manufacturing, and computer-aided design. They are also well-prepared for further research in the field.
Graduates with this degree can work in roles such as VLSI design engineer, IC design manager, or VLSI research and development engineer. They can work in companies like Intel, Texas Instruments, and Samsung. Additionally, MTech in VLSI graduates can pursue research and teaching positions in universities and research institutions.
Are you interested in applying? You are just a click away!
What are the Prerequisites needed for Pursuing an MTech in VLSI?
The prerequisites for pursuing an MTech in VLSI typically include a bachelor’s degree in engineering or a related field, such as Electrical engineering, Computer engineering, or Electronics engineering. Some universities may also require a minimum GPA or a certain number of course credits in related subjects, such as circuit analysis, digital design, and semiconductor devices. To perform well in the course basic understanding of semiconductor physics and device operation, and familiarity with computer-aided design (CAD) tools and simulation software, such as SPICE, Verilog, and VHDL, is an advantage. Some institutions may also require a valid GATE or other entrance exam scores.
Exploring Different Career Paths after an MTech in VLSI
Overall, the career opportunities available to MTech in VLSI graduates are diverse and can be found in various industries, including electronics, computer hardware and software, telecommunications, aerospace, and more.
An MTech in VLSI can open a wide range of career opportunities in various fields such as:
- VLSI design: Graduates of the program can work as VLSI designers, developing integrated circuits and systems for various applications, such as computer processors, memory chips, and wireless communication devices.
- Embedded systems: Graduates can work in embedded systems, designing and developing intelligent devices and systems that include embedded processors, sensors, and communication interfaces.
- Semiconductor manufacturing: Graduates can work in semiconductor manufacturing companies, where they can be involved in the production of integrated circuits and other semiconductor devices.
- Computer-aided design: Graduates can work as CAD engineers, using computer-aided design tools to design and simulate integrated circuits and systems.
- Research and Development: Graduates can also opt for research and development in VLSI, working in universities, research institutions, or private companies, to conduct cutting-edge research in areas such as nano-electronics, low-power VLSI, and more.
Some of the common career paths for graduates of the programme include:
- VLSI Design Engineer: These professionals work on the design and development of integrated circuits and systems using computer-aided design (CAD) tools and simulation techniques. They may work in industries such as semiconductor manufacturing, telecommunications, and consumer electronics.
- Embedded Systems Engineer: These professionals design and develop embedded systems, which are computer systems integrated into other devices and products. They may work in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and consumer electronics.
- Semiconductor Manufacturing Engineer: These professionals work in the manufacturing and producing of semiconductor devices, such as transistors, diodes, and integrated circuits. They may work in industries such as semiconductor manufacturing, telecommunications, and consumer electronics.
- Computer-Aided Design Engineer: These professionals work on the development and use of computer-aided design (CAD) tools for the design and simulation of electronic systems. They may work in industries such as semiconductor manufacturing, telecommunications, and consumer electronics.
The Benefits of Pursuing an MTech in VLSI Design & Technology
Pursuing an MTech degree in VLSI Design & Technology can provide several benefits, including:
- Advanced Knowledge: The programme provides a deep understanding of VLSI design methodologies, digital and analogue circuit design, semiconductor device physics, and layout design, which is essential for developing integrated circuits and systems.
- Hands-on Experience: The programme provides hands-on training in the use of VLSI design tools and the implementation of VLSI systems, which can help graduates gain valuable practical experience in the field.
- Career Advancement: An MTech in VLSI and Embedded systems can help graduates advance their careers in VLSI design and technology, or related fields such as embedded systems or semiconductor manufacturing.
- Specialization: The programme is specialised and provides the opportunity to gain expertise in a specific area of VLSI design and technology, which can be an advantage in the job market.
- Networking: The programme can provide opportunities to network with other professionals in the field, including faculty members and fellow students. This can be valuable for building professional relationships and staying informed about the latest developments in the field.
- Research Opportunities: An MTech in VLSI and Embedded systems can provide students with the opportunity to conduct research in the field, which can lead to discoveries and advancements.
- Higher Pay: The graduates with MTech in VLSI usually get higher pay than the undergraduate engineers.
- Higher positions: MTech degree holders are often considered for higher-level positions, such as project managers, research and development managers, or senior engineers.
Enhance your career prospects in VLSI. Apply now for your MTech degree!
Advantages of pursuing an MTech Degree in VLSI at SRM University-AP
SRM University-AP (Andhra Pradesh) is one of the premier institutes in India for education and research in the field of VLSI Design & Technology. Pursuing an MTech degree in VLSI at SRM University-AP can provide several advantages, including:
- Faculty: The university has a team of highly qualified and experienced faculty members who are experts in VLSI design and technology.
- Research-oriented curriculum: The programme has a research-oriented curriculum, which provides students with opportunities to conduct research and work on projects under the guidance of faculty members.
- State-of-the-art facilities: SRM University-AP has state-of-the-art facilities, including labs and research centres, which are well-equipped with the latest equipment and software needed for VLSI design and technology.
- Industry Connections: The University has strong industry connections, which can provide students with opportunities for internships and placements in leading companies.
- Entrepreneurship: The University has a strong focus on entrepreneurship, which can provide students with the opportunity to develop their business ideas and turn them into successful ventures.
- International Exposure: SRM University-AP collaborates with international universities and research institutes, which can provide students with opportunities for international study and research.
- Strong Alumni Network: The University has a strong alumni network, which can be valuable for networking and professional development.
- Reputation: SRM University-AP is known for its reputation for providing high-quality education and research in the field of VLSI and Embedded systems, which can benefit graduates in terms of employability and career opportunities.
- Scholarship: All the students who get admission to the course will be given up to 100% scholarship to cover the tuition fees.
- Stipend: All the students who get admission to the course will get a stipend of Rs. 6000 per month.
Apply now for your MTech degree!