Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University Kakinada India M.Tech.
Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad India Ph.D.
Aug 2022 to Feb 2023 | SIRE Research Fellow | Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering Laboratory, University of Illinois Chicago, IL 60607, USA
Sept 2019 to Jul 2020 | Visiting Faculty | Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University Kakinada, India
Aug 2018 to Aug 2019 | Research Associate | Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad, India
Oct 2016 to Dec 2016 | Visiting Scholar | Ritsumeikan University, Shiga Prefecture, Japan
May 2011 to Sept 2011 | Guest Faculty | MRAGR Govt. Polytechnic, Vizianagaram, India
May 2010 to May 2011 | GET – Project Execution – DGMAP (Naval Township) | NCC Ltd., - Visakhapatnam, India
Dr Raviteja's research is dedicated to the pursuit of sustainable solutions in geotechnical and geoenvironmental engineering. A focus is placed on enhancing system reliability and probability through innovative design approaches. A significant aspect of the work involves the utilisation of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) for geotechnical and geoenvironmental monitoring, leading to the revolutionisation of monitoring techniques and the acquisition of real-time, high-resolution data for improved project management. Additionally, developing eco-friendly geosynthetic-clay liners for waste containment facilities is actively engaged, utilising industrial by-products to promote environmentally conscious practices and reduce waste. To enhance waste landfill slope stability, Dr Raviteja employs probabilistic optimisation and Gaussian Mixture Models (GMM), considering uncertainties and variations in design parameters for effective risk mitigation. Furthermore, exploring the applications of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) to address complex challenges in the fields is pursued, aiming to se decision-making processes and predict potential hazards while enhancing overall engineering system efficiency. Integral to the research is the search for sustainable methods to improve problematic soils using industrial by-products, thereby contributing to environmental preservation and cost-effective soil improvement techniques.
Awards & Fellowships
Best Paper Award from STEM Research Society at the RAISE International Conference 2023
Best Paper Award from AMITY University on TRACE 2022 Conference
SERB-SIRE Fellowship of ₹19.23 Lakhs from SERB, DST to work as Research Fellow at University of Illinois, Chicago (2022-23)
Gold Medal from SRM University on Research Day
Selected for High Level Foreign Research Fellowship 2020 from Tsinghua University, China
Research Excellence Award 2018 from IIT Hyderabad for outstanding research performance
Research Excellence Award 2017 from IIT Hyderabad for outstanding research performance
JASSO Scholarship of ¥1,60,000 2016 from Japanese Govt. for working as Research Intern at Japan
Research Excellence Award 2016 from IIT Hyderabad for outstanding research performance
Travel Grant of ¥70,000 2016 from Ritsumeikan University for international travel
Travel Grant of ₹2,50,000 2016 from MHRD, Govt. of India to present a research paper at Geo-Chicago 2016, USA
Research Excellence Award 2015 from IIT Hyderabad for outstanding research performance
MHRD Scholarship 2014 from MHRD, Govt. for India for carrying out research work at IIT Hyderabad
Scholarship of ₹25,000 2004 from Vikas Educational Society for securing rank in a state-wide talent test
Technical Advisor, Center for Transformation of Waste Technologies (CTWT), Illinois, USA.
Executive Committee Member, Indian Geotechnical Society, Guntur Chapter.
Member, Geo-Institute, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2021-2023 (#9810743).
Life Member, Institute of Engineers, India (#1710650).
Life Member, Indian Geotechnical Society, (#LM-3698).
Organizing Committee Member, International Conference on Building Materials & Construction Technologies 2020, Dubai, UAE.
Editorial Committee Member, Journal of Communications in Sciences and Mathematics, UNIFAP, Brazil.
Reviewer, Geosynthetics International, ICE.
Reviewer, Journal of Hazardous, Toxic and Radioactive Waste, ASCE.
Member, International Society for Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, (IND17LM-3698).
Reviewer, Geo-Congress 2019, ASCE.
DGCA Certified Remote Pilot for UAV: Small, VLOS (#PC052300003MU), Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Uran Akademi (IGRUA)
Certified Chartered Engineer, Institution of Engineers, India (#M1710650)
Live Machine Training (30 hours course), EduxLabs, Mechanica-IIT Madras (Oct 2022)
Advances in Environmental Geotechnics, 5 day FDP by NIT AP (Oct 2020)
Polluted Site Characterization and Remediation, 10 day GIAN by IIT BBS (Aug 2016)
Refereed Journal Publications
1. Kumar, Ashutosh, Sarat Kumar Das, Lohitkumar Nainegali, K.V.N.S. Raviteja, and Krishna R. Reddy (2023). "Probabilistic Slope Stability Analysis of Coal Mine Waste Rock Dump", Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, Springer, 1-18, doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10706-023-02541-2
2. K.V.N.S Raviteja, Kavya, K.V.B.S., Senapti, R., and Reddy, K.R. (2023). “Machine learning modelling of tensile force in anchored geomembrane liners.” Geosynthetics International, ICE Publishing, Ahead of print., doi: https://doi.org/10.1680/jgein.22.00377
3. Raghuram, A.S.S., Basha, B.M. and Raviteja, K.V.N.S. (2021). “Variability Characterization of SWCC for Clay and Silt and its Application to Infinite Slope Reliability.” Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, ASCE, 33(8): 04021180 1 -17, doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0003809
4. Raviteja, K.V.N.S. and B. Munwar Basha (2020). “Characterization of variability of unit weight and shear parameters of municipal solid waste (MSW).” Journal of Hazardous Toxic and Radioactive Waste, ASCE. Accepted, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)HZ.2153-5515.0000585
5. Raviteja, K.V.N.S. and Basha, B.M. (2018). “Reliability based LRFD of geomembrane liners for V-shaped anchor trenches of MSW landfills.” International Journal of Geosynthetics and Ground Engineering 4:5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40891-017-0123-5
6. Raviteja, K.V.N.S. and Basha, B. M. (2018). “Optimal reliability-based design of V-shaped anchor trenches for MSW landfills.” Geosynthetics International, ICE Publishing, 25(2): 200-214. https://doi.org/10.1680/jgein.18.00002
7. Basha, B. M. and Raviteja, K.V.N.S. (2016). “Optimum tensile strength of geomembrane liner for V-shaped anchor trenches using target reliability approach.” Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, Springer International Publishing, 34(6), 1995–2018. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10706-016-0079-6
8. Anshumali Mishra, K.V.N.S. Raviteja, Sarat Kumar Das and Krishna R. Reddy (2023). “Assessing the Sustainability of Composite Liner Systems for Municipal Solid Waste Landfills: A Triple Bottom Line Approach.” Journal of Environmental Engineering and Science, ICE, Under review.
1. Raviteja, K.V.N.S., Reddy, K.R. (2023). "Application of Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Deep Learning in Contaminated Site Remediation". In: Al Khaddar, R., Singh, S.K., Kaushika, N.D., Tomar, R.K., Jain, S.K. (eds) Recent Developments in Energy and Environmental Engineering. TRACE 2022. Lecture Notes in Civil Engineering, vol 333. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-99-1388-6_32
2. Faizanjunaid, Md., Sravanam, S.M. and K.V.N.S Raviteja (2023). “Prediction of interface friction angle between landfill liner and soil using machine learning,” ‘Recent Advances in Sustainable Environment’, Springer Nature, pp. 389-403. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-19-5077-3_32
3. Basha, B.M. and K.V.N.S Raviteja (2018). “Meethotamulla landfill failure analysis: A probabilistic approach.” Chapter-20, Geotechnics for Natural and Engineered Sustainable Technologies, Springer International Publishing, pp. 341-351. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-7721-0_20
4. K.V.N.S Raviteja, Ramu, K. and Babu, R.D. (2018). “Penetration characteristics of expansive soil: A probabilistic study.” Chapter-9, Advances in Characterization and Analysis of Expansive Soils and Rocks, Springer International Publishing, pp. 105-115. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-61931-6_9
5. Basha, B.M. and K.V.N.S Raviteja (2017). “Resistance factor calculations for load resistance factor design (LRFD) of MSW landfill slopes.” Chapter-6, Geoenvironmental Practices and Sustainability, Developments in Geotechnical Engineering, Springer International Publishing, pp. 47-56.https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-4077-1_6
Geotechnical Special Publications (ASCE)
1. Raghuram, A.S.S., Raviteja, K.V.N.S., Basha, B.M. and Moghal, A.A. (2020). “Reliability based Design Charts for Spatially Variable MSW Landfill Slopes.” Geo-Congress 2020, ASCE, Minneapolis, USA, GSP 316, 696-706. https://doi.org/10.1061/9780784482797.068
2. Babu, R.D., Raviteja, K.V.N.S. and Varaprasad, L.N.V.N. (2019). “Strength Characterization of Expansive soil treated with Phosphogypsum and Crumb Waste Rubber.” Geo-Congress 2019, ASCE, (GSP-309), 315-324. https://doi.org/10.1061/9780784482117.032
3. Raviteja, K.V.N.S. and Basha, B.M. (2016). “The Allowable Design Strength of a Geomembrane Liner for the Anchor Trenches of MSW Landfills: A Reliability-Based Approach.” Geo-Chicago 2016 ASCE, (GSP 271), 1–10. 13. https://doi.org/10.1061/9780784480144.001
4. Basha, B.M., Raviteja, K.V.N.S. and Sahithi, A. (2016). “Computation of the probabilistic critical centers and reliability indices of MSW landfill slopes using the Spencer method of slices.” Geo-Chicago 2016 ASCE, (GSP 271), 628–637. https://doi.org/10.1061/9780784480144.062
2. Raviteja, K.V.N.S. (2019). “Status of solid waste management in Hyderabad: Challenges and opportunities.” International conference on Water and Waste Management, 19-20 Feb 2019, Hyderabad, India, 1-7.
5. Raviteja, K.V.N.S. and Basha, B.M. (2015). “Optimum design of V-shaped geosynthetic anchor trenches for MSW landfill slopes: A reliability-based approach.” Proc. of 5th Young Indian Geotechnical Engineers Conference, Vadodara, Gujarat, 1–7. https://raiith.iith.ac.in/6134/
10. Raviteja, K.V.N.S., Umashankar, B., Ramu, K. and Babu, R.D. (2014). “Bearing capacity of a strip footing resting on treated and untreated soils.” Proc. of Indian Geotechnical Conference 2014, JNTU Kakinada, 1-6. https://raiith.iith.ac.in/1710/
11. Basha, B.M. and Raviteja, K.V.N.S. (2014). “Optimum design of L-shaped anchor trenches for MSW landfill slopes using reliability based approach.” Geo-Innovations, IISc Bangalore, 1–8.
12. Basha, B.M. and Raviteja, K.V.N.S. (2014). “Reliability based design optimization of geosynthetic anchor trenches for MSW landfill slopes.” Proc. of Indian Geotechnical Conference 2014, JNTU Kakinada, 1–8. https://raiith.iith.ac.in/6139/
13. Raviteja, K.V.N.S., Lavanya, P.M., Ramu, K., Harikishore, V. and Babu, R.D. (2013). “Efficacy of lime-fly ash blends on the behaviour of expansive soils.” Proc. of 4th Young Indian Geotechnical Engineers Conference, IIT Madras, 55-58.
14. Ramu, K., Babu, R.D., Harikishore, V., Raviteja, K.V.N.S. and Lavanya P.M. (2013). “Strength behaviour of WTR reinforced lime-fly ash-expansive soil mixes.” Proc. of Indian Geotechnical Conference 2013, IIT Roorkee, 1-6.
15. Kumar, G.K., Sriram, N., Babu, R.D. and Raviteja, K.V.N.S. (2013). “Influence of lime-fly ash and waste tyre rubber on the strength characteristics of expansive soil.” Advances in Geotechnical Engineering, IGS Surat, 1-8.
16. Praveen, K.V.S.R., Teja, K.V., Babu, R.D. and Raviteja, K.V.N.S. (2013). “Strength behaviour of marine clay stabilized with lime-quarry rock dust and waste plastics.” Advances in Geotechnical Engineering, IGS Surat, 1-8.
Raviteja, K.V.N.S. (2013). “Rama Sethu (The Adam’s bridge).” Published in Octavia 2013, the magazine of the College of Engineering, Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University Kakinada.
Sustainable Ash based Geosynthetic Clay Liners for MSW Landfills; Funding agency: SERB (SIRE), DST, Govt. of India, Role: Research Fellow, Status: Awarded (SIR/2022/000374), Under Progress.
Development of Innovative Geomaterials for the Reduction of Lateral Stresses in Retention Systems; Funding agency: TBM Innovative Ideas, SRM Univesity AP, Role: PI, Status: Under Progress.
Probabilistic Design Optimisation of Retention Systems for Vertical Landfills; Funding agency: SRM Univesity AP, Role: Supervisor, Ph.D. Scholar: Kavya K.S, Status: Under progress.
Vertical expansion of existing municipal solid waste landfills. Funded by the Dept. of Science & Tech., Govt. of India. (Role: Research Assoc.)
Design of drainage filters for Veeranjaneya reservoir at Yedula, Palamuru, Rangareddy lift irrigation scheme, Telangana. Funded by the Govt. of Telangana. (PI: Dr. Sireesh S & Dr. B Munwar Basha)∙
Plate Load Testing (50T capacity hydraulic jack) to assess the soil bearing capacity near JNTU Kakinada for construction of the flyover. Funded by the Roads & Buildings Dept., Govt. of Andhra Pradesh. PI: Prof. K Ramu. (Role: TA)
Construction Director Generals’ Married Accommodation Project, Indian Navy, Visakhapatnam. (Role: Engineer Projects)
Soil Behaviour and Engineering (CE 205)
Geotechnical Analysis and Design (CE 302)
Environmental Geotechnics (CE 424)
Geotechnical Engineering Laboratory (CE 205L)
Sustainable Engineering Research Laboratory (SERL), SRM University-AP