ECE students can have careers in industries like consumer electronics manufacturing organization, Automotive, Telecommunication & IT industries, Health care equipment manufacturing, Mobile communication (2G, 3G, and 4G), Internet technologies, Power Electronics, and other industries like steel, petroleum and chemical industry etc. ECE students also have lots of opportunities in Government and private companies in the areas of design, manufacture, installation, operation, and maintenance of electronics equipment and systems. New opportunities and avenues are also opening up for electronics & communication engineers due to integration of electronics into various new industrial verticals. The latest technologies include self-driving cars, autonomous drone logistics, robotics, automation in industries, smart energy systems etc. But getting acquainted with these industries will not be easy as they demand engineers who are more hands-on with the latest technologies.
Salary Prospects of ECE Students
The average salary of freshers graduating in ECE as per payscale.com is Rs. 395,664. Electronics students with skills in robotics, automation technologies, renewable energies, Internet of Things (IoT), mechatronics engineering concepts add more value to their average pay scale. The aim of students pursuing electronics engineering is to get a highly paid job, so improving skill sets will definitely impact their pay scale a lot.
Major technologies in which an ECE engineer can work on
1. Analog and Radio Frequency Circuits: Without these cell phones, Wi-Fi, television will cease to exist. A lot of industries are established to meet the consumer demands and in the process, they opened up a lot of job opportunities for electronics engineers.
2. Communication & Signal Processing: This particular technology finds its application in transmission, storage and analysis of information signals.
3. Computer & Digital Systems: All the industries are able to advance technologically at a faster pace than before with the help of computers. These digital systems are everywhere from smart watches to Mars rovers.
4. Networking: With the boom on the internet, we are experiencing 3G, 4G services which help the organizations and industries to easily collaborate with people. There is a lot of scope for engineers who want to work in this technology.
5. Computer vision & Image processing: These technologies are helping computers in the areas like medical, surveying, photogrammetry etc. For instance, now we have medical devices that can analyze data to not only display images but identify diseases too with the help of magneto-resonance imaging technology.
6. Control systems & Robotics: With the advancement in the technologies lately more and more industries are adopting automation and robots into their operations to improve their efficiency. And a lot more industries are expected to adopt these technologies in the coming years.
7. Remote Sensing: Communication via radio waves is essential for mobile devices, radios, and all the devices that are connected to the internet. From mapping to navigation, remote sensing plays vital role in various technologies.
8. Nanotechnology: The more efficient solar cells, faster transistors, tracking chips and microscopic sensors that we see today are the products of nanotechnology. Lot of industries is adapting this technology to make their products smaller and more efficient.
9. Sustainable Energy & Power systems: Now industries are investing lots of their money and time to develop more efficient solar cells, windmills, systems that can generate power from tides etc. This technology offers a wide range of job opportunities for electronics engineers.
10. Energy Storage Technology: The demand for energy storage systems is likely to grow exponentially globally as the world shifts towards renewable energy sources. This shift will mandate both grid level and unit level energy storage systems that are of viable size, cost, and energy efficiency. Significant research is currently being conducted on materials, engineering, and other optimisations.
Skills that an ECE student needs to develop to improve job prospects
If you are an ECE student, here are some of the skills and areas that you need to concentrate to improve your job prospects,
1. Computer proficiency is a must these days; try to get acquainted with some of the industrial grade software.
2. Develop your communication and interpersonal skills
3. Develop more practical skills and get hands-on experience on theoretical concepts
4. Get exposed to current industrial methodologies as much as possible
5. Stay updated with the latest technologies by developing projects on them
6. Do additional certified training programs to build your profile
7. Take additional responsibilities in your college to showcase your managerial skills
8. Develop your leadership and team working abilities