Prof. Dr. Damodar Acharya is a well-known man in the education circles. An eminent Engineer and Educationist, himalayan accolades such as serving office as the Director of IIT Kharagpur, Chairman of the AICTE, Director of the Central Board of The RBI are just a few that have been heaped to his name. He received his Doctorate in Industrial Engineering and Operations Research (IE & OR).
- Over 40 years of academic and administrative experience, that involved conceptualization, establishment and redevelopment of leading educational universities in India
- Master of Engineering (M.Tech) degree in Industrial Engineering and Operations Research, IIT Kharagpur (1972)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Industrial Engineering and Operations Research, IIT Kharagpur (1976)
- Member, Governing Body, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research
- Member, Governing Body, Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Shimla
- Member, Governing Body, Central University of Haryana
- Member, Governing Body, Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs
Professional and industry experience
- IIT Kharagpur – As Director of Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, worked to bring changes in the academic front, giving quantum fillip to number of research publications, number of PhDs, number of patents and sponsored research earnings. Also opened several new frontiers of education and research, including Infrastructure Design and Management, Water Resource Management, Engineering Entrepreneurship, Quality Engineering Design and Manufacturing and Bio-energy.
- Center for Railway Research at IIT Kharagpur – As a director of IIT Kharagpur, established the Centre for Railway Research with support from Ministry of Railways in 2011 to support industry specific research. The Centre is focussed on developing technologies for High Speed Trains, Heavy Haul Trains and Railway Automation, and works closely with RDSO and the Ministry of Railways.
- Founding Vice-Chancellor of Biju Patnaik University of Technology (BPUT) - As Vice-Chancellor of Biju Patnaik University of Technology, laid the foundation of a robust Technical University education system. Introduced a credit based flexible curricula with appropriate combination of soft and hard subjects, continuous evaluation, non-negotiable academic calendar, timely conduct of examinations and quick publication of result.
- All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE) – Worked for getting provisional membership of Washington Accord for India, mitigating the faculty shortage by raising their retirement age to 70, introducing mandatory disclosure by the Institutes to help economically weaker, physically challenged and women students to have access to technical education and introducing voluntary tuition fee waiver up to 10% of the sanctioned strength of an institution.